Posted by: reball | August 12, 2009

The beginning of our journey…

I often wake up to the sound of crying babies and I must admit very rarely do  I find it music to my ears.  In fact most days I just want to put the pillow over my head and pretend I never heard it in the first place. 

Excuse me I digress…I was suppose to be shedding a little light on how I wound up living this life I’m currently wading through.  My husband and I decided to start a family. Exactly, one month later I discovered that I was pregnant.  Yes, for us it was just that easy.  After throwing up consistently for about 2 months I went to the doctor.  After a quick discussion with said doctor she decided that it would be best to do an ultrasound.  As I layed on that uncomfortable table in the most awkward of positions, as any woman will tell you, a million thoughts were zooming around inside my head.  I tuned back in just as I caught the words the doctor was saying, “I can see why you’ve been so sick!”  Those words rang in my ears as tears flooded my eyes.  I was sure the next words were going to mean tragedy!  To my utter disbelief she proceeded to say there’s a baby here and another baby  here!  What? – I remember saying a little to loudly.  I could not believe what I had just been told.  Did I mention I had gone to this appointment alone?  Well, I had and at the time I didn’t even own my own cell phone! 

I proceeded to stumble from the doctor’s office in a disheveled manner and managed to make it to my truck where I sat in total shock alone for I don’t know how long.  I hurriedly drove to my husband’s work to share the news.  His reaction was priceless and one that I will never ever forget!  I showed him the ultrasound and as he stared with a non expressive look on his face I said there are two.  He of course did not believe me and gave me his usual “yeah right”.  At that time my dad (who works with my husband) came over and I showed the picture to him.  His question was, “Are there two?”  I shook my head at this point still in shock!  My hubby turned around so fast that you would have thought an entire pack of hyena’s jumped up his behind! 

And I guess you can say that the rest is history…

The babies continued to thrive and grow and grow and grow throughout my pregnancy.  At 32 weeks however, they decided that it was time to make their entry into our world.  The doctors didn’t think it was the right time so they changed the little boys minds for them by stopping my labor.  Again at 34 weeks they thought that it was time only to be told “No” bluntly again!  At 36 1/2 weeks my water broke and the boys gave us no choice.  They finally got to make their grand entrance.  They were delivered on a cold and blustery Monday, December 22, 2008 at 2:38 and 2:49 pm.  Grady Bud came first weighing in at a sturdy  5 pounds 12 ounces and Mack Robert followed a mere 11 minutes later weighing 5 pounds 8 ounces.  I forgot to mention the part about me delivering these babies without a cesarean.  I’m pretty proud of that!

As any mother will tell you the day their babies arrive is one that will change them forever.  Of course, I agree.  For us though that day is one that still brings fear and terror to my mind.  You see my little Grady came out completely grey -with no exaggeration his color was ashen.  I was sure that his little soul was on its way to heaven.  He never uttered a sound.  The doctor lifted him to show me for a mere second and then he was gone.  I continually asked what was happening but was assured he was just fine.  Only later did I find out that his coloring was off, they felt that he was having trouble,  and they were doing everything for him that they could. 

grady nicu 001

My poor innocent little guy was hooked to a C-PAP, IV’s were administered through his belly button, he had monitor’s covering his chest, cord’s hooked to his feet, hands, and head.  He looked like that mess we all try to hide behind our computer desks.  And if this wasn’t hard enough he had to be transported to a different hospital because the one I delivered at didn’t have a NICU. 

Our story does have a happy ending though!  God was definately watching over us!  After staying in the hospital with healthy baby Mack for 3 days we were released  and Grady was released after a mere week in the NICU.  To this day we still do not know what caused the problems that he faced.  He was taken off the respirator the evening that he was transported to the NICU.  My husband accompanied him there where he stayed the duration of his stay.  He left his side only once and that was the day that Mack and I were released from the hospital.  Have I told you what an incredible daddy I am married to?  I never actually got to hold my son until he was 3 days old and when I did it was quite an experience.  He has no signs of any health issues at this point and seems to be thriving like any other child his age!Our Boys

We have overcome quite a few obstacles from that first day and at this stage of the game the boys are 7 months old and a hefty 17 pounds a piece.  They are beginning to dare I say it “crawl”.  Stick around and you can join me for the daily trials and tribulations being a mother of twins brings!  We live a great life and each day I learn something new.  Join me for our wild ride and feel free to ask any questions you may have about being pregnant with twins or surviving the early days with twins.  I promise to only give you the best advice and words of wisdom I have to offer!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: